Monday, November 29, 2010

Elephant and Piggie to the Rescue!


Happy post-turkey day! Glad I didn't overeat this year ! On Sunday after our family went to church, the Mister had some business to attend to, leaving me home with the kiddos.

What to do?!? I don't think I can watch another round of Toy Story 3 with my 3-year old.

Feeling guilty for allowing my kids to watch TV for hours at hand, I decided it was time for my go-to impromptu plan for them-go to the library! Amazingly enough, the kiddos were up for it! Although we had attended the generic family story time which the kids rarely sit through, the highlight was choosing and READING books by favorite authors.

My 7 year-old immediately navigated herself through the juvenile chapter book section, and picked out her faves including Junie B. Jones, Ready Freddy, Horrible Harry, and The Weird School Series books. She was happy devouring her usual reading fare. As a reading teacher, I am thrilled that one of my children is reading independently. (less reading aloud for me)

Of course, I needed to help my 3 year-old find books that were appropriate and acceptable for ME and her. I needed books that would sustain her attention, books with text that I could read entirely before she flipped the page, and books that are simple enough yet entertaining. Ah, the Elephant and Piggie series by Mo Willems was perfect. The cartoon-like illustrations were a delight! We truly read for pleasure. There was laughing. There was giggling. There was READING! Thank you, Elephant and Piggie for coming to our rescue on a Sunday afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment