Wednesday, December 15, 2010

What's in my Book Bag This Week?



One of my favorite books to read to the girls this season is The Gingerbread Man. It is a classic tale about a gingerbread man cookie who is made by a little old man and a little old woman. The Gingerbread Man in turn decides to run away from them and from other various characters including a butcher, cow, and sow (pig). In the end, it is a sly old fox that gets the better of him, and the fox enjoys him for a snack.

Our favorite part of the book is when we chant "Run! Run! Fast as you can! You can't catch me! I'm the Gingerbread Man!" I love the predictable story line and catchy phrases that rhyme. It's perfect for even the youngest of readers! The girls and I even did an impromptu short play based on the book using plastic figurines we already had at home. It was pretty hilarious to say the least.

In honor of The Gingerbread Man, we erected our very own gingerbread house this week (see above picture). What a labor of love! I got hand and finger cramps using that darn piping bag. The girls had loads of fun putting the candy on the house. You can smell the sweetness of gingerbread coming from our dining room. Anyway, we think the Gingerbread Man wouldn't mind running to this house and calling this his humble abode!

No comments:

Post a Comment